Saturday, March 17, 2007

for what it's worth

Went to the beautiful Newcastle Waldorf School (http://www.newcastlewaldorfschool.nsw.edu.au/) yesterday and discovered Elsa can actually start there from next term if we so desire. Hadn't really considered it would happen so soon, but given the organic nature of the school it won't be an issue as far as ''catching up'' goes. Big decision now is whether we send her next term or wait until term three, when she will have turned five but will have had an extra term of preschool, possibly making the transition a bit harder. Big decisions, but then you can't avoid them when you have children. A poem I found recently makes me think of the Waldorf school, and the Steiner method of education, and I'm completely swayed whenever I read it.

I meant to do my work today -
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.

And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand -
So what could I do but laugh and go?

- Richard LeGallienne

No comments: